Tuesday, December 6, 2011

"Twenty Twelve" is the latest creation in the TRUNKS ART series, "This End Up!"

Camarillo, CA — December 5, 2011 — If you ever eavesdropped on a few of my conversations with friends as I held court in the local Panda Express, you probably overheard my disdain towards calendar dates telling me what to do, how to act and what to feel. December 21, 2012 is a date I first heard about when I was in grade school. When Sister Mary Catherine told me that this date signaled the end of a 5,125 year cycle in the Mayan calendar and that our sun would finally align with the Milky Way galaxy, all I could think about was how old I’d be.

As the years rolled by, the impending ‘galactic alignment’ didn’t interest me much at all. Things like awkward high school dances, perfecting my Frisbee throw in college, satisfying unrealistic corporate deadlines and avoiding the American healthcare system always seemed WAY more important than the notion that a cataclysmic demise awaited all human kind. Now that I swapped a conference room for an art studio, a composition about December 21, 2012 seemed like a good idea. After a little research, I found that we’ve been able to read the Mayan calendar for over 100 years and that the corresponding hieroglyphics have been completely deciphered for about 30 years. What’s it all mean? From what I gathered, it means nothing more than hitting a giant, cosmic reset button.

“Twenty Twelve” is my tribute to this historic date. While the temples and dragons offer a nod toward the Mayan culture, the sun dials and Stonehenge refer to the cleverness of those ancient civilizations that linked celestial movements to time. But as for the magic eight balls and surfer dudes – well that’s just my way of telling Sister Mary Catherine that even though December 21, 2012 will pique the interest of the spiritual and scientific, it’s still just another random day to do what you love and to share it with those around you. I hope you like my latest composition!

"Twenty Twelve" is part of my "This End Up" Series. If you're interested in seeing what this image looks like on coffee mugs, beer steins, t-shirts, iPad sleeves and a bunch of other items, please visit my on-line store at www.printfection.com. It's also available in various sizes on paper or canvas as limited edition prints (75). Licensing of this image is available as well. To see more of my work, please visit my website at www.chucktrunks.com.

No comments: